Virtually Connecting is a learning community that contributes back to the academic world through various forms of scholarship. This scholarship enables reflection on how the movement deals with concerns around equity, access, inclusion, hybridity, digital literacy, empathy, and more.
The following is a list of publications and presentations by various members of the Virtually Connecting movement either directly addressing these bigger issues or highlighting Virtually Connecting as an example to enable a larger conversation.
Open access peer-reviewed scholarly articles:
- Bali, M., Caines, A., Hogue, R. J., DeWaard, H. J., & Friedrich, C. (2019). Intentionally Equitable Hospitality in Hybrid Video Dialogue: The Context of Virtually Connecting. eLearning Mag (special issue). Retrieved from: https://elearnmag.acm.org/archive.cfm?aid=3331173
- Bali, M., and Caines, A. (2018, December). A call for promoting ownership, equity, and agency in faculty development via connected learning. The International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education. Open access article provided by publisher
- Bali, M., Caines, A., DeWaard, H., & Hogue, R. (2016, December). Ethos and Practice of a Connected Learning Movement: Interpreting Virtually Connecting Through Alignment with Theory and Survey Results. Online Learning Journal, 20(4). Pp. 212-229. Open access article provided by publisher
Open access non-peer reviewed scholarly articles:
- Caines, A. & Bali, M. (2017, March 29). Virtually Connecting with the #OER17 Community. OER17 blog.
- Zamora, M. (2016, September). Virtually Connecting at #DML2016. dmlcentral.
- Caines, A. (2016, August). The Praxis of Virtually Connecting. Digital Pedagogy Lab.
- Bali & Hogue (2015, May). Virtual, Hybrid, or Present? The #et4buddy Conference Experiment. Hybrid Pedagogy.
- Hogue & Bali (2015, May). Beyond Twitter: Virtually Connecting at Conference. ProfHacker.
- Pascual: N. M. (2015, July 17). Virtually Connecting: an innovative initiative to enhance the virtual experience [interview]. Ex Ordo blog.
- Hogue, R. J., & Bali, M. (2015, September).
Expanding and Extending Conversations at #altc via @vconnecting. #ALTC blog.
- Caines, A. (2019, March). A call for promoting ownership, equity, and agency in faculty development via connected learning. “E”ffordability Summit, Menomonie WI, USA. Slides available here
- Mehran, P., Koguchi, I., & Takemura, H. (2018, August). [poster presentation] Physically banned yet virtually connected at EUROCALL2017: How technology overcomes the boundaries of our time. The 26th EUROCALL Conference, the University of Jyväskylä, Finland. Digital version of poster available here. Abstract can be found here.
- Bali, M. (2018). Challenging Academic Gatekeeping: Open scholarship and Virtually Connecting. [keynote]. E/merge Africa Festival of eLearning Conference. July 2018. Video and other resources available here.
- Zamora, M., Levine, A., Bali, M., Caines, A., Friedrich, C. (2018). Virtually Connecting Fishbowl. OER18, Bristol, UK. APRIL 2018.
- DeWaard, H. (April, 2017) This Conversation is OPEN: A Global Campfire Chat. Presented at Creative Commons Global Summit. Toronto, Canada.
- Bali, M., Beckingham, S., Zamora, M., Caines, A., Hogue, R., Weller, M. (April 2017) Breaking the Physical Conference Barrier: Virtually Connecting as an approach to open and inclusive conferences. Presented at OER17, London, United Kingdom.
- Bali, M., Hogue, R., Caines, A. (October, 2016) Virtually Connecting Fishbowl. Presented at OpenEd, Richmond, VA.
- Zamora, M., Levine, A., Rhen, A., Bali, M., Hogue, R., Caines, A., Aboulmagd, N. (October 2016) Virtually Connecting as a Model for Transformative Learning. Presented at Digital Media and Learning, University of California, Irvine.
- Bali, M., Bowles, K., Prinsloo, P. (August 2016) Inclusive Globally Networked Learning. Digital Pedagogy Lab Institute. University of Mary Washington. Fredericksburg, VA.
- Caines, A., Bali, M. (August 2016) The Praxis of Virtually Connecting. Digital Pedagogy Lab Institute. University of Mary Washington. Fredericksburg, VA.
- Caines, A., Bali, M., Hogue, R., Hammershaimb, L. (May, 2016). Networking Through Conversation: Using Community to Overcome Barriers to Connection. Presented at Transformative Teaching through Technology, St. Norbert University, DePere, WI.
- Hogue, R.,Bali, M., Caines, A., Levine, A., Koutropoulos, A., Kilgore, W., Rehn, A. (April, 2016). Meeting the Potential of Hybridity: Access, Equity, and Inclusion. Presented at OLC Innovate, New Orleans, LA.
- Caines, A.,Levine, A.,Bali, M., Hogue, R., Koutropoulos, A., Kilgore, W. (April, 2016). Fishbowl: So What is Virtually Connecting All About Anyways? Presented at OLC Innovate, New Orleans, LA.
- Bali, M., Hogue, R.J., Kilgore, W., Caines, A. (October, 2015). Almost There – Virtually Connecting: How Friends Changed the Virtual Conference Experience. Presented at Digital Learning Research Network, Stanford, CA.
Personal Blog Posts relating to Virtually Connecting:
- #OLCInnovate Fishbowl: so what’s Virtually Connecting all about anyway? Published by Autumm Caines on April 18th 2016
- PJs and a Headscarf – My Private/Public Life. Published by Maha Bali on June 12, 2015.
- #et4buddy pilot project at #et4online – how ideas are born. Simultaneously published by Rebecca J. Hogue and Maha Bali on March 25, 2015.
- The number of guest posts about how Virtually Connecting has affected the lives of those in our community has continued to mount at a pace that we will not be able to maintain manually on this page. We have reposted these articles on our blog and they are compiled here.